Out of the Box
Thoughts on performance, problem solving and recruiting
Questions That Matter
Recently had a client ask me why I think McIntosh Search has been so successful placing higher quality professionals into their firm. My reflexive response was that "we ask questions and listen". In fact, I believe the most important thing we do is ask thoughtful questions about consequential matters.
Naturally, effort, commitment and focus are important and flow from clarity. My perspective is that relationships are built by discovery of shared values. So requirements gathering and interviewing allow parties to interact in the most efficient, cooperative and transparent manner. Whether you are building software, hiring professionals, or interviewing for new career opportunities, success is often predicated by the type of questions you ask.
List of Substantive Questions
- What do you hope to achieve?
- What does success look like and how do you measure it?
- What are the main obstacles in your path?
- What needs to be addressed immediately?
- How is the organization prepared to handle this type of change?
- What impact did the delivery of this product have on the company?
- How did you communicate with your boss or customer when things didn't go as planned?
- What did you learn in your most recent role?
- Software Engineer - Dallas, Texas
- Web Developer - Dallas, Texas
- Digital Marketing Specialist - Dallas, Texas
- Production Database Administrator - Dallas, Texas
- Senior Software Engineer - Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
- Senior .Net Developer - 8+ years' experience - Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
- Sr. Web Developer - 3+ years experience - Dallas, Texas
- Quality Assurance Analyst - Dallas, Texas
- Senior Project Manager - Dallas, Texas
- Business Analyst - Dallas, Texas
View all Jobs